I have a criminal record, does this mean I can't apply?

You may still be eligible to join the Police Service if you have minor convictions/cautions but there are certain offences and conditions that will make you ineligible. This includes anyone who has received a formal caution in the last five years, committed a violent crime or public order offence. When making our decisions we are guided by National Policing Improvement Agency Circular 01/2010. You can view this document on the NPIA website.

Do I need to have a driving licence at the point of application?

This is not a requirement for the role of Special Constable. As you could be posted anywhere in the Force area, it would be desirable if you have access to transport.

Will I live and work in the same area?

Not necessarily. You could be posted anywhere within the Force area. 

Where will the training take place?

The initial classroom based training will take place at Vantage Point House, Ty Coch Way, Cwmbran.

Can Special Constables drive Police vehicles?

Once Special Constables have completed the appropriate training, they are able to drive unmarked (plain) Police cars. The driving of marked cars is permitted after further advanced training is completed.

What do I get out of being a Special?

Tonnes of experience....

  • Give something back to your local community and learn more about the area
  • Learn new and useful skills and develop your character
  • Provide valuable support to regular Police Officers and Police staff
  • Discover first-hand what it's like to work with the Police
  • Meet new people and build lasting friendships
  • Enjoy the outdoors by going out on patrol
  • Develop self-respect and self-confidence
  • Embark on fresh, exciting and varying challenges
  • Gain experience in preparation for applying to become a Police Officer
  • Claim out of pocket expenses including travel

Are there any occupations a Special Constable cannot hold?

Members of some occupations are excluded, such as: 

  • Armed forces
  • Security officers
  • Traffic wardens/parking attendants
  • Some roles within the legal profession
  • Private detectives
  • Community Support Officers (CSOs)
  • Highway Agency Traffic Officers/WAG Traffic Officers

Should I tell my employer?

Yes. The Working Time Directive is applicable to voluntary work as well as your employment. There are benefits for your employer which includes supporting their local community. Call us for information if you're an employer who wants to know more.

Do Special Constables have to attend court?

Yes. This may be in normal work time. The majority of employers are flexible in accommodating this. Your employers will complete a form outlining your loss of earnings and this will ensure that we pay you for any time spent in court.