PREVENT is about safeguarding
PREVENT works with partners to identify any individual or community that may be vulnerable to extremist influences and seeks to intervene.
- PREVENT does not target individuals or specific communities
- PREVENT does not discriminate against individuals or specific communities
- PREVENT does not seek to gather intelligence on individuals or specific communities
PREVENT seeks to make sure that the right support surrounds that person in order to stop them becoming involved in any extremist activity. In Gwent, this is achieved through CHANNEL panels.
To make a referral please use the link below:
CHANNEL is a voluntary, confidential programme which looks to safeguard people identified as vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism. CHANNEL is a multi-agency approach to protect vulnerable people by:
- identifying individuals at risk
- assessing the nature and extent of that risk
- developing the most appropriate support plan for the individuals concerned
Joe was drawn to the extreme right-wing when he was just 15 and going to football matches with older individuals with far-right views. Joe admits that they weren’t the best influence, but to him they were fearless, so he did what they did and said what they said. Joe started listening to them and idolised them. He felt pulled towards the far-right. He felt like he belonged.
There may be a number of reasons for you to be concerned about someone. These may include:
- Becoming increasingly isolated from friends or family
- Associating with known individuals or groups that have extreme views
- Posting extreme views on social media
- Mental ill health or drug/alcohol problems worsening
- Making threats or expressing negative views towards a particular group of people
If you would like more information about PREVENT, or have any concerns you would like to discuss, please contact our PREVENT Officer:
PC 1323 David Castree
Prevent Engagement Officer
Tel: 01633 247 941
Mobile: 07464 653 020